Traveljunkieindonesia.com – If you want to travel like a hippie you can’t just want travel because you think they’re “cool”.
You have to be down with the hippie philosophy. Hippies are loving, peaceful and at one with the universe. They want world peace, and the earth to be saved.
So, here are 45 how to travel like a hippie:
1. You go where you want, when you want. Choose your destination, but don’t plan any itinerary, make it up as you go along.
2. Travel with a random group of friends from various backgrounds.
3. Try to be funny and serious at the same time.
4. Take the cheapest transportation possible.
5. Love your country; criticize your government.
6. Try to be calm and collected. This may be hard for some people.
7. Purchase your meals at the grocery store, then picnic on the beach.
8. Keep your entertainment cheap and easy.
9. Find the cheapest accommodations possible.
10. Get to know the locals.
11. It’s OK to dislike people’s actions, just love them as a person.
12. Laugh a lot.
13. Be yourself! Listen to whatever music you want, wear the clothes that appeal to YOU.
14. Give peace a chance!
15. Advocate love as opposed to hate — peace as opposed to war — self-expression as opposed to inhibition.
16. Do free. Be willing to help others for free.
17. Make everyone your friend.
18. Everyone’s your friend now as a hippie, so make people who hate the world your very distant friends.
19. Don’t let anything bug (bother) you or bring you down.
20. It’s not necessary to use words like solid, groovy, dig, etc., but if you want to, find a guide to 60s slang such as The Hip Pocket Book.
21. Some popular hippie reading material includes Siddhartha by Hesse, An Historical Guide to Afghanistan by Nancy Hatch Dupree, and the writings of Mahatma Gandhi and John Lennon. However, you should choose the reading material you prefer. Same with your musical choices.
22. Wear a cool headband.
23. Hippie fashions include tie-dye, hemp jewelry, peace symbols and rasta.
24. Let your inner beauty shine!
25. Cool events where you can meet other people who are hippies include burning man, rainbow festivals and music concerts such as phish and wide spread panic.
26. Be rebellious and flow against the tide.
27. Remember, you grow up knowing what you want, what you like, who you are, and who you want to kick with peace.
28. Remember that it is not necessary to take drugs just because you’re travel like a hippie.
29. Stand by the music you like, and don’t be angry if someone else doesn’t appreciate it.
30. Understand fully the many aspects of the 1960s and 1970s that formed the hippie subculture.
31. Understand that travel like a hippie today is a bit different than travel like a hippie in the 60’s and 70’s.
32. Try to not contribute to pollution as much as possible. Hippies love mother earth and do all they can to save it. Buy clothing and products that are recyclable and are good for the environment and local.
33. Do volunteer work and learn about barter. Hippies in the 60s believed in trade or barter rather than money.
34. Protest against anti-life things such as wars, weapons, racism, unfair laws, minority discrimination, and help to campaign for Sustainable!
35. Style your hair minimally. Grow your hair and go to the hair salon as little as possible. Hippies try to be as natural as possible. Keep clean, but use natural soaps and deodorants and herbal products.
36. It is common, (but stereotypical), for hippies to wear “psychedelic” tie-dye shirts. It would be nice to have a few Paisley shirts too, they are very hip.
37. Attempt to become a vegetarian. Many hippies eat organic vegetarian and vegan food. Remember; hippies are against all kinds of violence. Today’s health food stores are a legacy of the hippie movement; you might find hippies at your local one.
38. Many hippies like to go bare foot or wear sandals.
39. Wearing colourful beaded bracelets are great.
40. Keep all your grooming natural and unscented. If you wear perfume, make it an essential oil such as patchouli, jasmine, or sandalwood.
41. The Whole Point Hippies are free people. These guidelines are what you need to really become and embellish your hippie lifestyle, but hippies, remember, are signs for freedom.
42. Remember that there is no right or wrong way to travel like a hippie. Just do what you feel is right and don’t force yourself to follow beliefs that you don’t agree with. Just be yourself!
43. Listen to hippie bands. That includes, but is not limited to, The Beatles, Canned Heat, Rolling Stones, Phish, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, the Grateful Dead, The Black Angels, The Mamas and the Papas, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe McDonald, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Jimi Hendrix, Carole King, Bob Marley, Phil Ochs, Janis Joplin, Cream, Hot Tuna, The Doors, The Yardbirds, Eric Clapton, The Allman Brothers Band, Hawkwind, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Eagles, Arlo Guthrie, The Band, van der graaf generators, Camel, Traffic, Joni Mitchell, Massada, Guruh Gipsy, etc. Still around and rocking today!
44. On vacation they will take you to countries that you do not know exist and live like a local. And, always to visit traveljunkieindonesia.com
45. One more, Remember! Have a peaceful and loving nature, and have respect for all living and breathing things. This includes both animals, plants and humans.
Have a suggestion for how to travel like a hippie? Add it below in the comments and I’ll try to include it in this guide!
Happy Green Travels!