Traveljunkieindonesia.com – The Gilis Islands are a terrific dive destination. The drop-offs, plateaus and slopes of the Gili’s reflect a good cross-section of what Indonesia has to offer. Dive in and be fascinated by turtles, White-tip Reef Sharks, Cuttlefish, Moray Eels, Angel Fish, Ghost Pipefish and more.
The Gili islands have become popular for travel junkies and dive junkies. So, here are some of the best dive sites in Gili Islands Lombok:
1. Deep Halik, The canyonlike profile of this site is ideally suited to drift diving. Black and white tip sharks can often be seen at 28m to 30m.
2. Deep Turbo, at around 30m, this site is ideal for Nitrox diving. It has impressive sea fans and catches the prevailing currents, so anything can come out of the big blue (including, very occasionally, mantas or even whale sharks).
3. Hans Reef, off the northeast coast of Gili Air. Great for macro life, including frogfish, ghostfish, seahorses and pipe fish.
4. Japanese Wreck, for experienced divers only (as it lies at 45m), this shipwreck of a Japanese patrol boat is another site ideal for Nitrox divers. Soft coral is prolific, and there are lots of nudibranchs, lionfish and frogfish.
5. Shark Point, perhaps the most exhilarating dive in the Gilis: reef sharks and turtles are spotted very regularly, as well as schools of bumphead parrot fish and mantas. Look out for cuttlefish and octopuses. At shallow depths there can be a strong surge.
6. Simon’s Reef, the reef here is in excellent condition, schools of trevally can be seen and occasionally great baracuda and leopard sharks.
7. Sunset (Manta Point), the sloping profile of the reef here has good coral growth below 18m, including some impressive table coral. Large pelagic are frequently encountered and strong currents are rarely an issue.
Happy green dives!