Traveljunkieindonesia.com – I am SO excited to tell you all about this news.
Travel Junkie Indonesia have been invited to attend #WFPblogmeet United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) in Jakarta (9/11/12). Yes, it was AMAZING!
So, here are No Food = No (Fun x Future):
Who is WFP?
1. The world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide.
2. Funded entirely by voluntary donations from governments and the private sector/individuals
3. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of conflict & natural disasters
1. What is Food Security? “Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food that meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life”. -World Food Summit, 1996
2. Multi-dimensional definition: Food Availability, Food Access (Physical and Economic), and Food Utilization.
NO FUN – Being Undernourished
1a. Starts in the womb
1b. Growth faltering: too short for their age
1c. Children are smaller and shorter but appear to be normal
1d. Long-term consequences of stunting – chronic diseases: diabetes, heart disease » economic burden
2. Increased risk of mortality
3. Learning difficulties
NO FUN – Poor Brain Development
1. Malnutrition & Infection » “Otak kosong” or empty brain is permanent = Irreversible loss of opportunity » LOST GENERATION (Labor) » Burden.
2. Nourished & Healthy » Life in its fullness = Quality Human Resource » Higher income (> 7% more) » Resource
1. First 1,000 days in a child’s life is the most important.
1a. Poor nutrition during the first 1,000 days of life can lead to irreversible damage to a child’s brain and body.
1b. Children need to be given the opportunity to develop their full potential.
What Can WFP Do in Indonesia?
Works to support and in partnership with the Government of Indonesia to help the country achieve food security through capacity development: food security, monitoring and analysis, disaster preparedness and response, and reducing under-nutrition.
WFP in Indonesia – Programmes
1. Mother and Child Health and Nutrition
2. School Meals
3. Building Community Resilience
What Can Travel Bloggers Do?
1. Be a Blogger Against Hunger. Use your social media accounts & be messengers.
2. Engage the general public and social media practitioners on the issue of hunger. Be part of the solution by raising awareness!
3. Play freerice.com. Check out wfp.org/get-involved for more ideas.
Let’s working together to Solve Hunger!