Traveljunkieindonesia.com – West Papua (Indonesian: Papua Barat) is a province of Indonesia covering the western peninsula of the island of New Guinea. The region covers the Bird’s Head (Doberai) and Bomberai peninsulas and the surrounding islands of Raja Ampat. It is still covered with pristine tropical rainforest where male birds of paradise perform courtship dance in the bright morning days to attract female birds.
The capital of West Papua province is Manokwari. It’s administratively divided into ten regencies (kabupaten) and one city (kota): Regency – Principal Town – Area – Population
1. Fakfak Regency – (Fakfak)
2. Kaimana Regency – (Kaimana)
3. Manokwari Regency – (Capital of West Papua: Manokwari)
4. Maybrat Regency – (Kumurkek)
5. Raja Ampat Regency – (Waisai)
6. Sorong City – (Sorong)
7. Sorong Regency – (Aimas)
8. South Sorong Regency
9. Tambrauw Regency – (Fef)
10. Teluk Bintuni Regency – (Bintuni)
11. Teluk Wondama Regency – (Rasiei)
Ecotourism in West Papua is growing due to the existence of massive coral reef areas in Raja Ampat islands and the mountainous region along the northern coast of vogelkop between Manokwari city and Sorong city that is rich of wildlife.
Happy Green Travels!